Wednesday, December 2

Day 3 in Oslo: Taking it Slow

My timing has been off today — stayed up too late writing and was a bit slow getting out of the house. This is nothing new, so I've learned plenty well how to roll with it. I'm currently looking over the fjord, having missed a public ferry tour by mere minutes (I saw it pull away from the dock as I sat on the bus!). However, I am quite cozy on a patio at a restaurant, snuggled up in a blanket (provided at every table) and sitting on a fur seat cover, under a heat lamp. Ten points to Oslo!



Also tried lefse, a traditional potato bread:



This morning I woke up to a snowy Oslo, and didn't realize how much I would love seeing a winter landscape again! It wasn't much, but I'm happy to see it. 


Had to grab a latte from the trendiest (and also coziest) coffee/bar:


Then bought some handmade socks at the Christmas market for my favorite niece, and mailed my first round of thank-you postcards: 



I grabbed the bus over to the Kon-Tiki museum, which was fascinating! I hadn't heard of this journey before, but a Norwegian built a raft out of balsa wood and successfully floated from Peru to a group of pacific islands. Just to prove his theory about who settled there. There's a documentary and I intend to look it up to learn more. But I thought the museum was really well put together: simple, stationary displays but lots of good info and visually interesting. 




The bus ride there drives through a different side of Oslo than where I'd been these last two days, so it doubled as a mini-tour of the mini-countryside.

I catch the train to Rygge in just a few moments to head back to London, where in my absence it has apparently been near 60 degrees. Hopefully that sticks around for just a few more days. 

2 comments:

  1. Well you've convinced me I want to go to Norway sometime. I'm jealous of all your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you've convinced me I want to go to Norway sometime. I'm jealous of all your travels!

    ReplyDelete